www.dinaperezphotography.com

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Dina Marie as A Reality Show Contestant...




Considering, I've never like seeing my self on video or hearing audio of my voice, the fact that I would agree to be a reality show contestant is huge! Despite what most people think, I am often shy but what I hate mostly is getting lots of attention. Regardless of this trait, my interest in new endeavors and the exciting possibilities they present always lure me. So, here's the story...

In December 2008, I get a call from my friend Carolyn who said her friend- the CEO of the Photography Network, Patrick Jones- wanted to cast a photographer of color for the network's pilot of a new reality show. I sent in my website address and expressed my interest in participating. Carolyn had also recommended another friend. There were no certainties I would be in it but my philosophy is to "give it a shot and God will let you know if it's for you or not"- i.e, rejection. The taping was scheduled for that Saturday but I had not heard from them all week since the initial contact. But on Friday morning I got a call from the producer (Jennifer)telling me that they had received my info after they had made their selections but now she had a spot open because one of the contestants was sick. She said they had been on my website all morning and liked my work. I said I'd love to do it. I had to cancel on my plans to attend my soror's baby shower but I figured she would understand given the opportunity.

I was a little nervous that I didn't have what it took to compete with photographers who had been photographing professionally much longer than I have. I kept telling myself to just be myself and that it would go well if I was authentically Dina.

On my way up to Rome, GA (an hour and a half north of Atlanta), I stopped for some breakfast. When I got off of I-75 and headed west. The sunrise was in my rear view mirror and I could not help but notice how pretty it was. I pulled over on the side of the road and took photos of the sunrise. It was glorious and a reminder of why early morning risings are wonderful for meditation. It also reminded me of my ability to find and capture beauty with a camera- I use God's gift of sight to share God's beauty. And it fulfills me. Below are two of the photos.








So, when I arrive and see the other contestants and all of their elaborate equipment, I remind myself again from the morning's sunrise meditation. And when that wasn't enough, I called Carolyn and voiced my concern that I was "not a real photographer" like the others. She advised me that I was a real photographer with real talent. I don't remember Carolyn's exact words but I do know she gave me what I needed to be myself and to do well.



And well, it went. I had fun throughout the day with the crew and the other photographers. Even though I suffered a mishap (you'll see in the video), my photos weren't so bad. The feedback from the judges was pretty good. I had worried for nothing. The producers thanked me for my participation and said they would like to use me for the real show if it gets picked up. That was encouraging. However, when I saw the pilot, I got a small sample of what other reality show contestants experience. All I will say is with editing, a show expresses the intent of the producers. No real harm done, really. I just would have appreciated a little more of my good feedback from the judges and what I thought were some of my humorous moments to be included in the show . But, hey, it's not my show, is it? Besides, I thought I said I didn't like attention?



I would go on about my observations and some thoughts that went through my head that day but considering I'm picking up and publishing this post almost 9 months after I originally drafted it, I'm not going to write any more. I'll just let you take a look at the video and tell me what you think. You can access the pilot by clicking on the link at the beginning of this post.



No comments: